Broccoli is an annual vegetable crop from the Cabbage family. This kind of garden cabbage quite popular in our country and abroad is considered to be the closest relative, as well as a predecessor of cauliflower at the genetic level. The plant has edible, tasty unopened inflorescences, and the pulp of this culture contains a very large amount of nutrients, which determines the usefulness of broccoli and allows the vegetable to be used for medicinal purposes.
About the benefits of broccoli
The main beneficial properties of broccoli are very numerous. They are due to the quality and balanced biochemical composition:
- the high content of vitamins and minerals helps to effectively deal with vitamin deficiencies, and also normalizes growth processes in the hair follicles and nail plates;
- magnesium in inflorescences is very beneficial for the heart muscle;
- the use of broccoli is also due to a sufficient amount of sodium, contributing to the regulation of water-electrolyte balance;
- a complex of manganese and zinc has a beneficial effect on the body;
- copper is involved in blood formation processes;
- antioxidant selenium helps to remove heavy metals and residual components of chemical drugs from the body;
- beta-carotene is justifiably reckoned with the vitamins of beauty, longevity and youth;
- chlorophyll included in the composition has a beneficial effect on the composition of the blood;
- the high content of protein compounds lysine and isoleucine makes it possible to equate this vegetable culture with chicken eggs;
- broccoli pulp contains choline and methionine, which prevent the deposition of cholesterol and improve its excretion from the body;
- fiber allows you to naturally cleanse the intestines, normalizes digestion and getting rid of constipation;
- stimulation of bile secretion and regeneration of damaged body tissues are noted.
Actively used broccoli and diet for weight loss. The active ingredients of the garden culture are used against body fat, and also helps to normalize metabolic processes in the body at various degrees of obesity. Broccoli is a low-calorie product, but the high fiber content allows you to give sufficient satiety to dishes from it, so eating this type of cabbage helps to overcome overeating and is often used in the diet of children who are overweight.
The benefits and harms of broccoli
The healing properties of broccoli
The pharmacological efficacy of broccoli glucosinolates is based on antioxidant and antiproliferative effects, harmonization of the metabolic processes of estrogens, activation of functions for the recognition by the immune system of the human body of tumor cells, which can effectively prevent the development of malignant tumors in the lungs, stomach, intestines, prostate and mammary glands. Such property of broccoli is actively used in the treatment of precancerous diseasesincluding mastopathy, cysts, adenoma and polyps, as well as for the purpose of revitalizing immunity.
All broccoli-based drugs have a pronounced therapeutic effect and are very popular in the treatment of the following diseases:
- in violation of insulin levels;
- with problems with the nervous system;
- cardiovascular pathologies of a chronic and acute nature;
- cataracts, diseases of the retina and eye lens;
- recovery, rehabilitation period after exposure;
- cellulitis and excessive swelling of various origins;
- with pancreatitis and gastritis in the stage of unstable remission;
- inflammatory processes in the respiratory system;
- bronchial asthma;
- allergic rhinitis and seasonal hay fever;
- general decrease in immunity of various etiologies;
- dysfunctions of the thyroid gland and hormonal levels.
Weight loss broccoli
The high content of folic acid makes broccoli indispensable in the diet of pregnant and lactating women. Broccoli actively fights prostatitis in men, preventing its development. The use of seeds in the form of decoctions for helminthiasis is undeniable.
The pulp of a vegetable crop contains substances such as sulforaphane and diindolylmethane, which have pronounced antitumor activity and are used in the fight against cancer and mastopathy. Numerous positive reviews can be found on such a remedy as hair oilproduced from seeds of green vegetable culture and actively used in modern cosmetology.
The chemical composition of broccoli allows us to attribute this garden culture to the leaders among the vegetables that are most useful for health and the body.. In terms of 100 calories, a vegetable crop contains more protein than meat like beef, and also contains carotene and minerals.
|Type of Nutrient||Nutrient Name||The quantitative nutrient content, mg||Daily nutrient rate, mg|
|Vitamins||"BUT"||386 mcg||900 mcg|
|Folate||63.0 mcg||400 mcg|
|Phylloquinone||101.6 mcg||120 mcg|
|Copper||49.0 mcg||1000 mcg|
|Selenium||2.5 mcg||55.0 mcg|
|Total calories||34.0 kcal|
Broccoli: contraindications and harm
As such, contraindications to the use of broccoli dishes are almost completely absent. However, with the inept use of drugs on the basis of this vegetable crop and its improper preparation, some harm may be caused to the body:
- it is undesirable to use vegetable broths for food, due to the high content of guanine and adenine, which are very harmful to the human body. It is for this reason that broccoli is not used to make vegetable broths;
- excessively long or improper heat treatment of broccoli contributes to the loss of a significant part of the beneficial components, as well as destructive effect on the vitamin composition and trace elements contained in inflorescences, so you need to cook dishes from this vegetable culture correctly;
- it is strongly recommended to fry broccoli inflorescences over high heat or with a large amount of fat, since as a result of such preparation a significant amount of dangerous carcinogenic substances is formed;
- with caution in the use of raw broccoli, all persons with a history of diseases accompanied by an increased level of acidity of gastric juice, as well as in the presence of severe pancreatic dysfunctions, should be treated;
- a large amount of coarse fiber contained in the inflorescences of broccoli cabbage is the main contraindication for the consumption of raw vegetable products in the recovery postoperative period.
How to cook broccoli
Before using for food, people with any chronic illnesses should consult with their doctor to help determine which dishes can be consumed and how long can be treated with drugs based on such a very useful vegetable culture as broccoli.